inflow - budget

winterwinter Posts: 4Member
edited February 2011 in Desktop
We're trying to use the software for capturing rental utilities (and other rental items) received. If I receive $10 util from tenant 1 and $40 util from tenant 2 the only place I can see to enter this is "income for this month". I was hoping to use what I think in old school they call a double entry system and would like to do the following example:

Received Paid Balance
Jan Tenant 1 $10 $10
Jan Tenant 2 $40 $50
Jan Util paid $15 $35
Feb Tenant 1 $10 $45
Feb Tenant 2 $40 $85
Feb util paid $35 $50

Is the $ received from the tenant the "budget"? Any help would be tremendously appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JoelJoel Posts: 9,738Member, Beta Tester, Beta Moderator
    I would recommend having a utilities category.

When you receive money, you enter it as an inflow to that category.

When you pay the bill, you enter it as an outflow to that category.

The money you receive stays in the category until spent. And you will likely have to budget more to cover your portion of the bill to that category as well.

Does that make sense?
  • YYC27YYC27 Posts: 1,968Member, Beta Tester
    With regards to recording this in YNAB, exactly what J.Mann said.

And ..
    winter wrote:
    ... what I think in old school they call a double entry system ...

Double entry bookkeeping refers to a system where every transaction affects two (or more) accounts. Think Debits and Credits.
  • winterwinter Posts: 4Member
    I have a category called "utilities" When I enter the deposit as a new transaction, select the budget category "utilities" and enter the $20 value in the "inflow" column the software then will show it in budget "outflow" column. The software deducts it from the value in the outflow. For example I had $30 in the category utility under the budget column. I had one check written for $30 (outflow). When I entered the new transaction for utilities the outflow column will now show $10. Is it supposed to work like this? thanks
    Yes, when you record an inflow directly against a category, it's netted against your outflows. It's basically negative spending.

If you need to see the full utilities expense, then you would record the deposit as Income: Available This Month, then budget that amount to your utilities category.
  • winterwinter Posts: 4Member
    How do you ever know what made up the budget value? Do you have to put it in a note?
  • LunaLuna Posts: 3,434Member, Beta Tester
    Interesting. I have a rental property, but it is currently not in YNAB at all. I have a separate bank account for it and since it operates at a loss, I consider it to be its own thing. Perhaps I will experiment with setting up a YNAB file completely separate from my personal file.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but it seems like you're probably pushing YNAB past what it's really designed for. YNAB's really good with personal finances, and managing the money you have today. It can be used, to an extent, in a business setting, but I don't think you're going to get the level of detail you need without really twisting the software.

That said, if you want a clean record of your tenants' utilities payments that separate from your payments to the utility company, you could try using a second category, let's say "utilities recovery". Payments from your tenants are recorded as an inflow into that category. You negative budget the money from recoveries, rebudget the money into your utilities category, then pay the bill when it comes in. It's pretty combursome, which is why I think YNAB may not be the best way to deal with this kind of thing.
  • MalisaMalisa Posts: 6,140Member, Moderator, YNAB Team, Beta Tester
    I'm not following 100%, but perhaps something Terry has worked on with his income streams set up could be helpful...

post75367.html
  • bookman413bookman413 Posts: 1,442Member, Beta Tester
    It should be very easy to get detailed accounting of specific income stream. You will need to disregard YNAB's built in income categories, or only use them for your owner's draw/personal income. Then, for your business related income, set upa budget category for "Propery Income" with subcategories "Apt D Utilities", Apt E utilities", etc etc. all the way down the line for each unit/tenant. You can make YNAB do this if you understand what you are trying to accomplish and how it will show up on the budget screen. Both Terry and I have posted on this before. Terry has actually used a system like this in practice for over a year so I'd say check his posts.