Does anyone visit the llnoe.com forum?

kbeakleykbeakley Posts: 78Member
edited July 2011 in Off-Topic Chat
I can't seem to log in or email the forum...does anyone know what's up?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mozzie61mozzie61 Posts: 2,040Member, Beta Tester
    Looks like it's down at the moment. I'd check again later.
  • nibblesmctwitchnibblesmctwitch Posts: 7Member
    Been down for day's.
    On the LLNOE website now:
    Hi Everyone, I am sorry to say that on May 4th, 2011, some SCUM of the earth hacked into LLNOE and caused some irreplaceable damage to the forum. At this time I am looking at options as what to do in regards to bringing the site back. The sad thing is we are a little over 5 weeks away
    from LLNOE being 6 years old and all history is now gone.
    Let's hope that never happens on this forum.
  • MalisaMalisa Posts: 6,140Member, Moderator, YNAB Team, Beta Tester
    mozzie61 wrote:
    On the LLNOE website now:
    LLNOE being 6 years old and all history is now gone.
    Let's hope that never happens on this forum.

And hopefully, since this is a software company, they're backing up the forums so that if anything like that does happen, all history won't be lost.
  • nibblesmctwitchnibblesmctwitch Posts: 7Member
    Yep kinda stupid not to be backing up the forum on at least a weekly basis.
  • debtbusterdebtbuster Posts: 273Member
    Roy said he's going to try to set it up again. I sure hope so. Not sure how we'll know. Hopefully he'll post where the new one will be. It should be a reminder to all of us to back up our own computers on a regular basis.
  • JodyJody Posts: 7Member
    I was actually online using the forums when the hackers hit the site. I went to check out another page and suddenly couldn't get into the site. Instead there was a page with some Swedish music video playing, and a banner saying the site had been hacked by Team Animus. Doing a brief websearch, I found that Team Animus is a known group of hackers that supposedly capitalize on some sort of security weakness in the VBulletin software.

I hope Roy is able to get the llnoe.com site back up, but I don't know his personal circumstances or resources. It could be soon, or it could be a while. It'll be a shame to lose the site, that's for sure. I know I'm not going to pay to join the Dave Ramsey forums ($89+ per year? No thanks.) I've already bought several books from his site and am doing fine with that.
  • indigoEMTindigoEMT Posts: 442Member
    Ok... If something happened here and I couldn't reach mu journal history- id freak out. Gonna start printing pages now lol.
    indigoEMT wrote:
    Ok... If something happened here and I couldn't reach mu journal history- id freak out. Gonna start printing pages now lol.

I knew that I'd noticed some feature to help with this on this forum somewhere.

Towards the top right corner, there's a printer icon. If you click it it 'flattens' a thread into one big page. You can then print it or, depending on your operating system, save it or email it or something. (OSX has options on the print dialog to make a PDF and email. I know that didn't used to be the case on Windows but I noticed something on some random system I was working on recently that made me think it might be there too now.)
  • indigoEMTindigoEMT Posts: 442Member
    Thanks!
  • YYC27YYC27 Posts: 1,968Member, Beta Tester
    malisab wrote:
    (OSX has options on the print dialog to make a PDF and email. I know that didn't used to be the case on Windows but I noticed something on some random system I was working on recently that made me think it might be there too now.)
    I don't think it's in Windows by default, but there are any number of tools you can install to add print-to-pdf capability. I think Windows also has its own proprietary document format that you can "print" to. Or, once you get to the printer friendly page, you can do a File-->Save As, and most browsers offer a few options on saving the page in an archived format.
  • WairereRoseWairereRose Posts: 5,895Member, Beta Tester
    malisab wrote:
    indigoEMT wrote:

I knew that I'd noticed some feature to help with this on this forum somewhere.

Towards the top right corner, there's a printer icon. If you click it it 'flattens' a thread into one big page. You can then print it or, depending on your operating system, save it or email it or something. (OSX has options on the print dialog to make a PDF and email. I know that didn't used to be the case on Windows but I noticed something on some random system I was working on recently that made me think it might be there too now.)

Ok, here's my top-right corner - I can't see a printer icon at all. What am I missing?
    Maybe it's browser specific?

(Scroll to the right in the pics)

Here's the top of the board for me when I'm just on the main screen. (Since I see UCP in your shot, I'm thinking that's where you were), and it's not there.

Here's the top of this thread. And there it is.
  • WairereRoseWairereRose Posts: 5,895Member, Beta Tester
    Aha! You are using the original settings for the board, while I have mine set to something prettier :wink:

Mine is on the top left of the thread with no picture :idea:

Thanks for the help finding it:
  • YYC27YYC27 Posts: 1,968Member, Beta Tester
    Ok, here's my top-right corner - I can't see a printer icon at all. What am I missing?
    You have your forum preferences set to use a different skin. In the skin you're using, look for a text link that says "print view" at the top of the thread.
    If you use MS Internet Explorer an alternative to preserve your journal, or any other thread you want to keep locally, is to save each page as a web archive.

Choose File -> Save As and in the dropdown box select "Web archive, single file (.mht)". Using this method all the content including pics is saved locally in one file, so even if the forum is off the air you can still view the entire page as it appears online. Of course if the forum is down then any links to other posts within the saved page will not work.
  • YogaRunnerYogaRunner Posts: 3Member
    debtbuster wrote:
    Roy said he's going to try to set it up again. I sure hope so. Not sure how we'll know. Hopefully he'll post where the new one will be. It should be a reminder to all of us to back up our own computers on a regular basis.

Hi everyone - new poster, just registered. I found this thread when I was trying to figure out what happened to the LLNOE forum. It looks like they are semi-back up and running but there is a glitch with the registration form (everyone has to register again) and no way to contact the mods to let them know.

Does anyone know if the mods are aware that when you try to register it won't let you unless you type in the verification code - but there's no verification code on the actual registration form?

YogaRunner
  • Abeth78Abeth78 Posts: 22Member
    YogaRunner wrote:
    debtbuster wrote:

Hi everyone - new poster, just registered. I found this thread when I was trying to figure out what happened to the LLNOE forum. It looks like they are semi-back up and running but there is a glitch with the registration form (everyone has to register again) and no way to contact the mods to let them know.

Does anyone know if the mods are aware that when you try to register it won't let you unless you type in the verification code - but there's no verification code on the actual registration form?

YogaRunner

I can let them know. There are like 500 people registered again there. The did lose *everything* and started all over again with a completely new/wiped clean site. It is such a shame. I would say definitely keep trying. I will let the Mods know. I had no trouble when I registered weeks ago. I found YNAB through LLNOE and am grateful for it! The two are a perfect complement!!

The one thing the hackers could not take away was the kind but reality based support you get there.
    I would love it if you could let them know. I fill out the registration page but where it says Verification Code there is no code... so I try to click register anyway but it tells me I didn't put the verification code in. But it's not there!

I really miss that forum and want to re-register! The mods can PM me through this site if they are confused about my issue.

Thanks Abeth :)
  • Abeth78Abeth78 Posts: 22Member
    I PMd them and gave them this thread :)
    Thanks! I was able to find an email for BzyBee so I sent her one... hopefully I'll get up and running soon!

In the mean time, I like it here too :)
  • kbeakleykbeakley Posts: 78Member
    hmmm anyone having trouble getting onto llnoe again today?