What are your favorite financial podcasts?

TheGoochTheGooch Posts: 446Member
edited July 2011 in Personal Finance
Right now I only have Dave Ramsey's , but I'd like to have more. What do you listen to?
Post edited by Unknown User on
Galapogos33

Comments

• Maggie MagpieMaggie Magpie Posts: 402Member
    This guy is almost as popular as Dave Ramsey. He operates out of Atlanta, Georgia I think: http://www.clarkhoward.com/s/radio-tv/
    TheGooch
  • TheGoochTheGooch Posts: 446Member
    I found him via google and listened to his latest podcast, its focus is different than Ramsey, but I like it.
  • LunaLuna Posts: 3,138Member, Beta Tester
    I've heard Clark Howard on the radio a few times and liked him. I have DR on my iPhone but I don't really listen all that often. I do have one of his books thanks to a fellow YNABber.

I've caught Suze Orman on late night TV once or twice while traveling and staying in hotels (I don't have a TV). I'm not sure if she has a podcast, though,
    Brian Preston's "The Money Guy" contest is good as well. They focus more on investing than Dave and Clark.
  • annersanners Posts: 48Member
    Dave Ramsey has a new app out, and you can listen or watch to the full there-hour show there each day.

I like Dave a lot. He really makes you think about being intentional about the life you live.

I've never had debt, for example, but I've really thought hard (and adjusted my budget) to boost up my emergency savings. I love his steps because they're so simple and focused. It makes easier to stay motivated.
    TheGooch
  • SuperboneSuperbone Posts: 1,197Member
    I enjoy listening to DR.  I also like listening to Ric Edleman's weekly podcast.

Superbone said:
    I enjoy listening to DR.  I also like listening to Ric Edleman's weekly podcast.
    What do you like about Ric Edleman's podcast? Does he focus on certain aspects of personal finance?
  • Bstar0306Bstar0306 Posts: 535Member
    I love Suze Orman's "Can you Afford It" segment! She tells it like it is and tries to get the people on the right track but some of the things people want to buy are just crazy! 
    domesticactivistlydia
    TheGooch said:

Superbone said:
    What do you like about Ric Edleman's podcast? Does he focus on certain aspects of personal finance?
    Mostly investing and retirement planning.  He's a certified financial planner and he's definitely selling his services but he has some good and interesting information.  I'm looking forward to his new book coming out on the best way to invest in 401k plans.  
    Bstar0306 said:
    I love Suze Orman's "Can you Afford It" segment! She tells it like it is and tries to get the people on the right track but some of the things people want to buy are just crazy! 
    I tried Suze Orman podcast and didn't like it. I can't which part of it rubbed me the wrong way, but I was very disappointed.

Superbone said:
    TheGooch said:

Superbone said:
    Mostly investing and retirement planning.  He's a certified financial planner and he's definitely selling his services but he has some good and interesting information.  I'm looking forward to his new book coming out on the best way to invest in 401k plans.  
    I'll give his podcast a spin. I have a low tolerance for advertising including people hawking their products during their show. Clark and Dave have ads in their podcasts, but their content is useful enough that I put up with it. Brian Preston doesn't even mention his services. He said he is confident that the quality of his free advice will lead people to think of him when looking for investment services.

There was a Real Estate podcast I listened to up until they advised a caller to pay minimum on their mortgage and use the savings as an emergency fund. Sorry, I can't listen to financial podcasts recommend staying in a debt a moment longer than you have to.  
    Bstar0306 said:
    I tried Suze Orman podcast and didn't like it. I can't which part of it rubbed me the wrong way, but I was very disappointed.

Superbone said:
    TheGooch said:

Superbone said:
    I'll give his podcast a spin. I have a low tolerance for advertising including people hawking their products during their show. Clark and Dave have ads in their podcasts, but their content is useful enough that I put up with it. Brian Preston doesn't even mention his services. He said he is confident that the quality of his free advice will lead people to think of him when looking for investment services.

There was a Real Estate podcast I listened to up until they advised a caller to pay minimum on their mortgage and use the savings as an emergency fund. Sorry, I can't listen to financial podcasts recommend staying in a debt a moment longer than you have to.  
    TheGooch said:
    Give it a listen and let me know what you think.  He doesn't have actual ads like Ramsey he just mentions during the show that they can call his offices to get more information or to be put in touch with one of their financial advisors.
  • csweeney00csweeney00 Posts: 45Member
    edited August 2013
    The BiggerPockets Podcast - a different real estate pro each week speaks all about their experiences in making money in real estate investing. That's actually the only one I listen to, but I'd like to start listening to Dave Ramsey's as well.
    Post edited by csweeney00 on
  • rdubukrdubuk Posts: 206Member
    ummmmmm.   YNAB's podcast with Jesse of course.  He talks about crossfit and finances.  Both things i love.
    daynavannaGalapogos33Bstar0306
  • joshbjoshb Posts: 2Member
    I'd definitely second the recommendation of Brian Preston's "The Money Guy" podcast.
  • VanillaCottageVanillaCottage Posts: 207Member
    Where does one "get" these podcasts and how does one "subscribe" to a podcast?
  • lauraredcloudlauraredcloud Posts: 647Member, Beta Tester
    edited August 2013
    If you have iTunes - go to the iTunes store, click 'Podcasts' and search for the name or topic. I put in 'ynab' and found 'You Need a Budget (YNAB)' with Jesse Mecham - it's free. When you click on it, you can play individual episodes, or hit Subscribe and it will download the latest ep and all future eps. To access your subscribed podcasts, go back to your library, to the 'Podcasts' section (a confusingly-placed dropdown under Music in the latest iTunes). 

Or if you have an RSS reader, you can just add the RSS feed of the podcast; in the case of YNAB, it's here: http://youneedabudget.libsyn.com/rss

Alternately, often a podcast will post individual episodes on its blog. You can go to the YNAB blog to download the latest episodes in mp3 format. Here's the direct link to all entries tagged 'podcast.' http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/c/podcast/
    Post edited by lauraredcloud on
    VanillaCottage
    Where does one "get" these podcasts and how does one "subscribe" to a podcast?
    The term Podcast refers to a series similar to a radio talk show or class that is delivered as a series of video or audio files. There became popular when they iPods took off, hence the name. You can do a Web search to find individual podcasts, podcast directories, and applications that can play them. Apple create a solid podcast ecosystem that's integrated with their iTunes app, Apple store, and Apple products, which is what I've been using since my first iPod. There are definitely tools for most platforms out there besides Apple's, but it's been so long since I've used anything else, I've forgotten what I used before I got an iPod. I recommend using Web searches to find podcast resources. The variety of content is huge, but my favorite types are music, news, and financial management podcasts. I listen to education ones as well,
    VanillaCottage
  • daynavannadaynavanna Posts: 166Member
    I need to add Meaningful Money Personal Finance Podcast to this list.  I've been downloading and enjoying it quite a bit recently.  The host's name is Pete Matthews and his website MeaningfulMoney.tv has a lot of information and videos about personal finance. While he speaks in pounds/quid instead of dollars, the overall ideology still feels relevant to me here in the United States.  

My list of most frequent podcast listens is:
    The Clark Howard Show (thanks to this thread!)
    The Suze Orman Show (not a podcast in the typical sense, but an audio version of her CNBC show)
    NPR Planet Money (not really the personal finance theme, but more focused on economic issues)
    Galapogos33
  • domesticactivistdomesticactivist Posts: 2,015Member
    I like to listen to Planet Money. Marketplace Money is ok, too. I listen to Dave Ramsey and we're pretty much following his plan though some of his attitudes (political) disgust me. Take what works and leave the rest, I say! Suze Orman drives me nuts, but I do like her Can You Afford It segment. 

I'm looking forward to checking out some of the others people have mentioned, thanks!
    newlyfrugal
  • MaverickCOMaverickCO Posts: 100Member
    I'm subscribed to a long list of podcasts on all kinds of topics, but recently got into some finance podcasts. I started with the YNAB podcasts, those are pretty short. Since yesterday I'm also listening to The Dough Roller podcast by Rob Berger (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dough-roller-podcast/id743822914?mt=2).. he's been doing one podcast a day since January 1st, and has some interesting interviews with experts or authors on personal finance. I'm currently listening to the interview with a credit score expert from Experian. Very interesting. 
    I second the recommendation for Rob Berger's Dough Roller Podcast. His 31 podcast in 31 days to start the new year is ambitious and fantastic.
    MaverickCOdaynavanna
  • Bstar0306Bstar0306 Posts: 535Member
    Just downloaded the dough roller podcasts onto my ipad mini to listen to at work tomorrow. I've also added the Suze Orman Show and The Good Financial Cents podcast (I listen to another podcast he does on blogging)...he recently interviewed a 17 year old that I know in real life :) 
    I also really liked the Financial Independence Podcast from the Mad Fientist but there are only a few of them.
  • onedayatatimeonedayatatime Posts: 88Member
    Great thread thank you.Often  I will find good podcasts by typing in words such as  habits,debt, motivation. Gerri Detweiler on Talk Credit Radio  has some good info.And also  Jenny Pincher has  a podcast and a web site.....  Adam Baker has  a  podcast called Man vs Debt Thanks for  the  Doughroller podcast never had heard it before. On the reading side is anyone reading Habits of the Rich by Tom Corley? 
    I'm loving Bigger Pockets! Thanks for the recommendation.
    TheGooch
  • cymbluecymblue Posts: 13Member
    I listen to Suze, Dave, Clark, and Jesse's YNAB podcast of course! They all offer something different. I think Suze is my favorite, but I know people who can't stand her voice.
  • newlyfrugalnewlyfrugal Posts: 189Member
    My favorites are Planet Money & Freakanomics. I also listen to Dave Ramsey but it is hard to keep up.with. Now I have a few more to check out so thanks for all the recommendations!
  • joannegjoanneg Posts: 168Member
    Jill on Money (Jill Schlesinger) is my favorite. She covers primarily investing and personal finance topics. Unlike Dave or Suze, most of her callers are not in financial trouble.
    cymblue