Hello!

KrisD42KrisD42 Posts: 39Member
edited December 2011 in Off-Topic Chat
Hi all,

I didn't see a place to just say hi, so I'm doing it here.

I just started with YNAB mid-July, and am really liking it, although sometimes the concepts get a little slippery in my head. I've been reading the board for awhile, and just registered today so I can read journals.

Nice to "meet" you all.
-Kris
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Turf_HackerTurf_Hacker Posts: 6,245Member, Moderator, YNAB Team, Beta Tester
    Welcome to the forums! You may want to consider starting your own journal covering your voyage with YNAB...
  • KrisD42KrisD42 Posts: 39Member
    Thanks, I'll think about that!
  • litterbuglitterbug Posts: 3,646Member, Beta Tester
    Hi there! YNAB can work even when it's slippery in my brain, so it's bound to work for you. :lol: A lot of financial stuff just sounds counter-intuitive to me, but I've gotten by pretty well for a few months just doing what the program, tutorials, and the great people on this forum tell me to do. I'll tell you one thing for sure: I never thought that budgeting could be such a positive and empowering experience!
    I agree, it's a pretty great system--I've only been using it for a few weeks, and it's been a real mind changer.

Right now I have lumpy expenses like car, health, and house insurance, fully funded for up through march 2012 (I am changing jobs in a few weeks and I won't know what my real take-home is, but I am taking a pay cut for the privilege [it is a much more stable job and a better career move, so the trade-off is worth it])--It's tough to grapple with the idea that the nice pile of money I've saved is already "spent" in some way, but I know that the savings will build up once I know what I'll be making.
  • TLBauerTLBauer Posts: 746Member, Beta Tester
    Hi .. and welcome aboard .. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with using YNAB. It has certainly changed my life!

Now ... if we could only get our Federal government to start using YNAB!!! :roll:
    TLBauer wrote:
    Now ... if we could only get our Federal government to start using YNAB!!! :roll:

:lol:
  • AustenAusten Posts: 2Member
    Hi,

my name is Austen from Ottawa.I'm 25 years old.My friends tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up.
    I would be happy after entering this wonderful forum which might be nice and interesting ideas from lovely people here .
  • stephaniesheriestephaniesherie Posts: 163Member
    Hi! I've been on the board just a few days and I'm so impressed with the quality of information and willingness of the members to help.

WELCOME!!
  • kmorgan221kmorgan221 Posts: 523Member, Beta Tester
    Hi, I'm Ken

I already started a Journal and have been posting around, but just discovered this thread and figured I'd join in.

I'm married with 2 kids, 8 and 4. We have a lot of debt, both short term and long term. I've been trying (and failing) to eliminate the short term debt so I could focus on the long term, but it just wasn't happening. With college expenses only about 10 years away, and retirement 20-25 years away, I'm really feeling the pressure to get on top of this, but nothing was working. I knew something had to change but I didn't know what.

I discovered the YNAB podcast through a friend's link on Facebook. I listened, and frankly laughed a little (well, a lot actually) at Rule Four, "Stop living Paycheck to Paycheck." Sure it's that easy. Just stop. But I didn't just turn it off, I kept listening and read more on the website. I was intrigued enough to find out more.

I'm glad I did. The YNAB methods is the change I needed. Once it all clicked I already started feeling better, not because I didn't have debt, because I do. I felt better because I now know what I need to do and how to go about it.

I'll be writing more in my journal and elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks for reading!
  • DaquanDaquan Posts: 2Member
    Hi,

my name is Daquan from Canada.I'm 25 years old.One of my friend tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up.
    I would be happy after entering this wonderful forum which might be nice and interesting ideas from lovely people here .
  • WairereRoseWairereRose Posts: 5,896Member, Beta Tester
    I am Rose, and I have been around for a few years now. Still working on building a buffer, but the red numbers are much less of a threat these days and that's huge progress after the last few months. I am about 2/3 the way through a business development course and have a small business selling balms that I am trying to grow large enough to support me. You can see it here if you like: www.wembalm.co.nz
    I am currently cat-sitting a long-haired pure-bred persian 'teen' who is due to fly to Ireland in less than a month, and I have my own cat who is about 8 years old and somewhat temperamental, but if I'm crying she's the first to hop on my lap and snuggle in and comfort me so she's great to have around.
    My son recently left home now that he has turned 18 and begun his tertiary education (I homeschooled him all but the first year of his schooling) and my daughter lives with me. She attends school at present, but wants to homeschool again after her second year of intermediate, ie, when she gets to highschool in just over a year.
    I'm engaged to a wonderful man and we are planning a wedding for sometime next year but due to some circumstances that need to be worked out at his end we don't have a date yet.
  • blackdiamondblackdiamond Posts: 2,314Member, Beta Tester
    Austen wrote:
    Hi,

my name is Austen from Ottawa.I'm 25 years old.My friends tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up.
    Daquan wrote:
    Hi,

my name is Daquan from Canada.I'm 25 years old.One of my friend tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up.

We must have twins!

my name is Jon from the USA. I'm 34 years old. None of my friends told me about this site. I've seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up. I've enjoyed learning several things about YNAB through the forum without having to do it the hard way as a new user. I'm trying to get a lot of people that I know to use YNAB.
  • WillWill Posts: 788Member, Beta Tester
    Hi, my name is Will, and I'm a YNAB-aholic. Just kidding. I really do like the software, the methodology, and the forums. I'm from Indiana, but moved to San Diego before relocating to the Portland OR metro area. I have a partner who is a financial mess (I'm subtly trying to get him into budgeting, or at least not spending more than he earns) and 2 wonderful dogs, a Jack Russell and a miniature schnauzer. I've been involved with YNAB officially since the end of November. I'd read someone's comment about YNAB on a Get Rich Slowly blog post and researched and decided to jump in! I even talked one of my friends into buying the software already (the Cyber Monday deal really helped!). If things go as planned, I could very well have a buffer, a funded BEF, and all but one credit card paid off by the end of this month! I'm thinking using the YNAB software will be even more fun when that is the case.