Good Bye Quicken Hello YNAB

CheshireukCheshireuk Posts: 2Member
edited March 2012 in Success Stories
We have used quicken for the last 15 years or so, but last weekend I reloaded the Quicken software on my PC and was prompted to register on-line. The next thing I knew is that I was locked out due to an expired license! Complete news to me that the software had an expiry date. So a quick review of the options on the Internet suggested that YNAB was worth a look.

I downloaded the 34 day trial and was impressed by the clear layout and general ease of input. If you are used to Quicken, the way that you enter transactions is very similar. But the BIG DIFFERENCE is the focus on BUDGETS. It's early days but I am already convinced that YNAB will make a difference.

But the other things I like about YNAB is that I feel I have joined a community of people who are passionate about helping me to budget. On Sunday evening I tuned in to the live Webinar and listened to Malisa talk about YNAB with such enthusiasm that 5000 miles away I caught the YNAB bug. On Monday from the office I installed another trial version on my laptop PC and via dropbox I was able to sync with the Budget that I had created at home.

The really cool thing is that because we can install the software on multiple PC's, my wife has it installed on her net-book, and we have it installed on my laptop, oh and the App on my Iphone. We have both found it to be very easy to use and have set up all our accounts and initial budgets.

And I guess the important bit for YNAB is that we bought the full version on Monday night, $60 which worked out to be £39.27 well spent.

And just one final request, can you nice people produce a version of the YNAB software that runs on my IPad? :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blackdiamondblackdiamond Posts: 2,313Member, Beta Tester
    I think you're right on with your assessment of YNAB. YNAB runs on Adobe AIR and I believe that this effectively eliminates it from working on tablets. It might happen in the future, but I wouldn't count on it for a long time.
  • jessiebirdjessiebird Posts: 3,751Member, Beta Tester
    It's early days but I am already convinced that YNAB will make a difference.

It absolutely will. It might take a couple of months while past non-budgeting gets sorted out but I think you will be very happy. Once you get some funds established for upcoming expenses, things get a lot easier. (I used Quicken starting in 1991, I think, which must have been early days.)

I only wish I had found YNAB sooner. I honestly think it has changed my life in under six months; that is not all YNAB, it's also the mindset that goes along with it and the support and camaraderie of other users. Welcome. You're going to love it here.
  • kmorgan221kmorgan221 Posts: 523Member, Beta Tester
    As a 20 year quicken user I can absolutely say YNAB is the better option. The difference is in the method, and the software supports the method. Good luck and welcome.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
  • MalisaMalisa Posts: 6,140Member, Moderator, YNAB Team, Beta Tester
    I'm infecting people in a good way. :lol:
  • DonGatelyDonGately Posts: 637Member, Beta Tester
    malisab wrote:
    I'm infecting people in a good way. :lol:

Let's hope the infection keeps spreading. :wink:
  • LunaLuna Posts: 3,091Member, Beta Tester
    I tried to use Quicken a few years ago but I found it so cumbersome that I didn't stick with it for even a few weeks. I actually recorded my spending in my checkbook register, just like in the old days. That was fine to make sure I didn't bounce a check, but YNAB does so much more than that.
  • GlowtapeGlowtape Posts: 71Member
    YNAB runs on Adobe AIR and I believe that this effectively eliminates it from working on tablets. It might happen in the future, but I wouldn't count on it for a long time.
    On iPads, to be exact. There's an official AIR runtime from Adobe for Android phones and tablets.
  • normlori1normlori1 Posts: 19Member
    I too was a Quicken user, since 1997. From the beginning I was disappointed in how it handled budgeting, so I just stopped trying to budget! Not a good idea. I'm so glad to have found YNAB, it does exactly what I always wished a budget program would do. It does more actually, in that it doesn't just record what you are doing but it helps you to do the right thing.
  • PlanemakerPlanemaker Posts: 104Member
    Glowtape wrote:
    YNAB runs on Adobe AIR and I believe that this effectively eliminates it from working on tablets. It might happen in the future, but I wouldn't count on it for a long time.
    On iPads, to be exact. There's an official AIR runtime from Adobe for Android phones and tablets.

YNAB works perfectly on my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
  • jan4jc164jan4jc164 Posts: 13Member
    We started using Quicken and kept having to contact customer support over and over. My sister had a co-worker who told her about his conversion from Quicken to YNAB and we checked it out, requested our Q refund and are on board...very excited. It is still a bit overwhelming...took the first class the day i paid for the software, and it was really helpful. I have re-watched many of the training videos to get the harder stuff in my head like the reimbursements and cc handling. I love the forums although I could waste my life away browsing them. Glad to be a new member of the community.
  • Turf_HackerTurf_Hacker Posts: 5,925Member, Moderator, YNAB Team, Beta Tester
    Welcome, we're glad you're here! In my opinion, you've found the best budgeting software and user community you'll find.
    Thanks...I have two questions. I have tried searching the forums but haven't found answers and I don't want to spend my life there. 1) How do a make a new post...obviously i have learned how to post on other people's posts but how do I create a new post thread? For example: This is my other question which could be a new post: We did some balance transfers from our Discover to two of our other accts. One we paid off and the other paid off a higher interest balance. (Purchases are 9.99% and OD advances are 21.15%-we paid off the higher of the two on our Visa) as Discover offered a 9,99% incentive. We then made several purchases on the Visa which we budgeted for in the current month. The actual question is this: Why does the Visa acct balance show -1249.01 and the Visa Budget Category Balance -2354.1. What did I log incorrectly and how do I fix it? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • rpgmanrpgman Posts: 133Member
    I absolutely love this software.
    I just wish I found it sooner.

We still use Quicken for investment purposes and bill paying and do double entry.

6 weeks in using YNAB and it has opened our eyes to making better spending decisions.

Its one of the best software programs I have ever used and that's coming from a programmer.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Well, we currently do not have investments, except for 401Ks with jobs. We have too much debt. I actually pay all the bills through my bank's bill pay and that has been established for some time. When we started YNABing I set all of those auto pays up in the section down bottom for scheduled payments...so that part is easy. I have to adjust to budgeting per pay and not thinking of re-aligning categories as stealing from Peter to Pay Paul. We love the phone app...that's was the final straw that broke the Quicken back for us...now we have to learn to check the balances before spending. Looking forward to continue to learn.
    jan4jc164 wrote:
    Thanks...I have two questions. I have tried searching the forums but haven't found answers and I don't want to spend my life there. 1) How do a make a new post...obviously i have learned how to post on other people's posts but how do I create a new post thread? For example: This is my other question which could be a new post: We did some balance transfers from our Discover to two of our other accts. One we paid off and the other paid off a higher interest balance. (Purchases are 9.99% and OD advances are 21.15%-we paid off the higher of the two on our Visa) as Discover offered a 9,99% incentive. We then made several purchases on the Visa which we budgeted for in the current month. The actual question is this: Why does the Visa acct balance show -1249.01 and the Visa Budget Category Balance -2354.1. What did I log incorrectly and how do I fix it? Thanks for your help in advance.

1. When you're in the topic area (for example, this is the Success Stories topic area), there should be a button (top and bottom of the page) labeled "New Topic". Click that button and you should be able to create a new thread.

2. Without seeing all the numbers (or even better the actual budget file) it's difficult to diagnose what is happening, but I'll take a guess. I'm also going to assume that the "Visa Budget Category Balance" you referred to is the Pre-YNAB Debt: Visa category balance. It's likely a combination of things.

First off, did you budget to these cards when you did the balance transfers? Not doing this can throw the Pre-YNAB Debt category balances out of whack. For example, if you did a balance transfer of $1,000 from Discover to Visa you would need to budget -$1,000 to the Discover Pre-YNAB Debt category (shows that you added $1,000 of debt to the card). This would increase your available to budget by $1,000 which you should then immediately budget to the Visa Pre-YNAB Debt category (shows that you reduced the debt on the card by $1,000).

The other part is likely due to making budgeted purchases to the Visa card. These purchases won't (and shouldn't!!) affect your Pre-YNAB Debt category balance, but will change your account balance.

I'm guessing that a combination of these two things are causing the difference between the Pre-YNAB Debt category balance and the account balance.
  • litterbuglitterbug Posts: 3,636Member, Beta Tester
    Jan4jc164, the "New Topic" button is at the top of the forum posts, next to "Post Reply."

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the credit card question; I tend to babble incoherently when it comes to credit cards.
    litterbug wrote:
    Jan4jc164, the "New Topic" button is at the top of the forum posts, next to "Post Reply."

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the credit card question; I tend to babble incoherently when it comes to credit cards.

Just when it comes to credit cards?

The skiing talk all seems like incoherent babble to me... :D
    litterbug wrote:
    I tend to babble incoherently when it comes to credit cards.

Just when it comes to credit cards?

The skiing talk all seems like incoherent babble to me... :D
    Hey, buddy, you talkin' to me? :P
    Me?? Oh no ma'am, I'd never do that... :lol:
  • nkhoang2000nkhoang2000 Posts: 1Member
    Hi everyone

My first every post on this forum!

I've learned alot in the couple of days of using YNAB. I am also a Quicken refugee (who has switched from Windows to MAC) and wanted to find a personal finance software. Now I know why after a dozen years of using Quicken...why I was never able to conform to my budget. I would create them several times a year, get excited about how much I'll be saving, it'll get out of whack and I'll quit entering transactions and adjusting my budget....I committing the cardinal sin of assuming future income is current income, as well as not being able to roll with the punches.

I am thankful that my wife and I's income levels do not necessitate us having to choose between mortgage or food or gas, as Obama would consider us "rich". However, just like gas expands to fill the space available, so too does material and service "needs" expand to fill the income available. So even though we have different problem from indebted persons(balancing wants instead of balancing between life's needs)...it's a similar problem nonetheless.

I have only used YNAB for a few days, but already I have begun to understand why I have "failed" in my previous budgeting forays. Instead of stressing about why I'm not saving as much as I think we should based on our income levels, it's now become a fun exercise in finding a job for every one of my budget dollars. Instead of assuming that future paychecks will come and make up for my lack of discipline (which for better or worse, my wife's and I's future paychecks always come because our jobs/companies are very stable), focusing on the here and now with the income you currently have sharpens your ability to prioritize what's important and necessary, versus what is not. This exercise I think will prepare us for when times are not so good.

Hopefully in time, I too will be able to share a success story on this forum.

Thank you!