How to run YNAB 4 in Linux using WINE

TaytayTaytay Posts: 3,094Member, Moderator, Administrator, YNAB Team
edited May 2013 in YNAB 4 on Linux
Our resourceful beta testers have managed to get YNAB working under Linux by using WINE. We don't officially support Linux because it proved to be quite difficult and time consuming for our support staff to debug issues on the various flavors. In addition, we run on AIR, which is already incompatible with Linux in many ways, and might break further in the future. However, we are thrilled that it looks like our existing Linux users - the adventurous ones at least - might have a way to upgrade to YNAB 4.

I'm going to make this thread an announce post and invite WolverineFan, the fellow that got this working, to post his instructions working below. (He even wrote a script to automate it). Enjoy!
Post edited by Unknown User on
mebnent

Comments

• rdubasrdubas Posts: 4Member
    That's great news! I've been running YNAB 3 on various versions of Ubuntu and Mint with no issues. So, we won't be able to directly install YNAB 4 to Adobe Air (even if it's the older AIR version) like with YNAB 3?
  • Budget_NinjaBudget_Ninja Posts: 4,762Member, Beta Tester
    Here is the post where the YNAB developers indicate AIR is now 'baked' into the application.

ynab-f96/which-version-adobe-air-does-require-t16299.html
  • WolverineFanWolverineFan Posts: 74Member, Beta Tester
    edited February 13
    UPDATED: 2014-02-12 - New version that will (optionally) download updated YNAB installer
    UPDATED: 2013-05-02 - Moved the source to GitHub
    UPDATED: 2012-06-30 - New version of the script (0.5) is ready. This version supports "link Dropbox only", as well as some other handy changes.

GitHub link: https://github.com/WolverineFan/YNABLinuxInstall

First, a quick explanation: YNAB4 works fine in most modern distros that have WINE installed by just double-clicking the downloaded installer. Unfortunately what DOESN'T work is YNAB4 "seeing" local Linux Dropbox install and enabling the "Cloud Sync" options. This script will fix the problem by setting up the necessary files for YNAB4 to use your Linux Dropbox folder and avoid you having to install a Windows version of Dropbox (which IMHO is just asking for trouble). It's important to note that even though YNAB4 doesn't see Dropbox and doesn't enable the Cloud Sync option, if you manually browse to your Linux Dropbox folder and store your YNAB4 files there, they should still sync just fine. So this script is a convenience, not mandatory.

You will need:
    1. WINE
    2. Dropbox for Linux. I'm going to plug a Dropbox referral link here: https://db.tt/WmZzCcSX ;(both parties get an extra 500MB if you use it)
    3. My script: https://github.com/WolverineFan/YNABLinuxInstall (Thanks to halfmoonboy for suggesting a dropbox link for the script, and MartinP for suggesting the GitHub move)
    4. OPTIONAL: The YNAB4 Windows installer: http://www.youneedabudget.com/download/ynab/redownload/ (the script will download this for you if you want)
    If you want to use wget to download my script, try this:
    wget -O YNAB4_LinuxInstall.pl https://raw.github.com/WolverineFan/YNABLinuxInstall/master/YNAB4_LinuxInstall.pl

Install WINE and Dropbox first. NOTE: Be sure to launch Dropbox, register, and complete the setup process. You should have a "Dropbox" folder in your home directory after it's done.

The newest version of the script is much more friendly. It will:
    • Ask if you want to install YNAB4 or just link Dropbox to an exsting install
    • Search common locations for your YNAB4 installer (if it finds more than one it will ask which one you want to use). You can still specify an installer on the command-line if you wish.
    • Do a bit more error checking to see if things are where they're expected
    • Happily upgrade an existing installation (but be sure you specify the correct WINE install location you used the first time!)

In a Terminal window you will type something like the following. I'm going to assume you downloaded to your Downloads directory because that's the default.
    cd Downloads
    perl ./YNAB4_LinuxInstall.pl

Then just follow the prompts!

By default, my script will install YNAB in a WINE bottle named "~/.wine_YNAB4" but it will prompt you for an alternate location. It will locate your Dropbox folder automatically so you don't have to do anything there.

NOTE: From within YNAB4, your Dropbox directory will be in C:\Dropbox

Any questions or problems with the script should be directed to me not the YNAB team :)

If anyone wants to take a stab at improving it feel free!

Post edited by WolverineFan on
    isdBudgeteratr111northbear
  • jamietjamiet Posts: 4Member
    Thanks BudgetNinja / WolverineFan. I was able to follow the step by step guide. I had already installed YNAB 4 using wine so could not use the script. The guide worked fine for me though on my desktop and netbook and its syncing away quite nicely. Now I need to get hold of the android app. ;)
  • MonkeyPawMonkeyPaw Posts: 20Member
    Is there any hope of running this natively in AIR 2.6 like we can with YNAB3?

I followed these 2 guides to get YNAB3 going in Ubuntu:
    ynab-f38/installing-ynab-bit-linux-t14127.html
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/87447/ho ... -adobe-air

Current problem is the link "http://ynab.me/current" still points to 3.6.0.5. I'd be more than happy to try it with the new .AIR install file if I can get to it.
    MonkeyPaw wrote:
    Is there any hope of running this natively in AIR 2.6 like we can with YNAB3?

I followed these 2 guides to get YNAB3 going in Ubuntu:
    ynab-f38/installing-ynab-bit-linux-t14127.html
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/87447/ho ... -adobe-air

Current problem is the link "http://ynab.me/current" still points to 3.6.0.5. I'd be more than happy to try it with the new .AIR install file if I can get to it.

From what I understand from the developers there isn't a new .AIR file.

ynab-f96/which-version-adobe-air-does-require-t16299.html
  • MonkeyPawMonkeyPaw Posts: 20Member
    Aw. I guess wine is fine. I just enjoy running native code when I get the chance.
  • baldwintmbaldwintm Posts: 3Member
    One thing to note about the autmatic script:
    You must go through the entire install process on Dropbox, INCLUDING where you create a Dropbox account, and set up the folder. This sync folder is what YNAB needs.
    baldwintm wrote:
    One thing to note about the autmatic script:
    You must go through the entire install process on Dropbox, INCLUDING where you create a Dropbox account, and set up the folder. This sync folder is what YNAB needs.

I have added a step 1a to the manual process I listed above to make it clearer.
  • halfmoonboyhalfmoonboy Posts: 149Member, Beta Tester
    I, too, have been happily using YNAB 3 natively on Linux for more than a year. I saw the Adobe announcement and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Now it has. I installed YNAB 4 with wine using WolverineFan's script, and it seems to be working correctly on Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit). Thanks for making it easy for me!

I have not tried synchronizing yet, however. Has anybody else done synchronization between YNAB 4 running in Linux and another copy running on Windows 7? That's what I need to try next.
    Here's a public Dropbox link to my copy of WolverineFan's install script: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4013340/ynab4_install.pl
  • jamietjamiet Posts: 4Member
    I have not tried synchronizing yet, however. Has anybody else done synchronization between YNAB 4 running in Linux and another copy running on Windows 7? That's what I need to try next.

I have not synced between linux and windows but I have successfully synced two linux machines - the concept should be the same.

HTH,

Jamie

I only run linux on a VM and really only installed for testing YNAB4. My normal machine is Windows 7 Pro. The two are syncing fine.
  • jaysway28jaysway28 Posts: 4Member
    Thanks WolverineFan for the script, works perfectly. I thought I'd share some advice with everyone about locking the app to the launcher in Ubuntu 12.04 Unity. If you are like me and don't like any icons on the desktop, you may have noticed that if you delete the two icons created by the install, you can no longer lock YNAB to the launcher. In fact if you had locked it, and then deleted the icons, you would have seen the YNAB icon in the launcher disappear.

There is a way around this. There are two icons, one ends in .lnk and the other in .desktop; you can delete the .lnk icon. The other one is a custom launcher that you need to keep in order to lock YNAB permanently to the launcher. Here is how I did it. Just move the .desktop icon anywhere in your home folder. Open that place in Nautilus, double-click the icon to launch YNAB, and then lock the app to the launcher. As long as you don't delete that icon, you are good. And now no more clutter on your desktop!

There may be other ways around this as well, but this worked well for me.
    jaysway28 wrote:
    ... If you are like me and don't like any icons on the desktop, you may have noticed that if you delete the two icons created by the install, you can no longer lock YNAB to the launcher.

Excellent suggestion! I hadn't figured that out yet!

Someone asked about syncing. During my testing I had 4 instances running (3 Linux, one Windows) and it worked flawlessly. Very impressive. I even disconnected one machine from the network, made some changes, plugged it back in, and all the copies got the changes. The YNAB team has done a pretty good job I think :)

Glad the script is working, I'll update my instructions as well regarding having to setup Dropbox not just install. Important point.
  • LughClydeLughClyde Posts: 4Member
    I too used YNAB 3 natively under Air 2.6.0. I had never installed WINE before. Alas, I had to now. I installed 1.5.5 in my Linux Mint LMDE KDE without any issues.

YNAB 4 works fine without running the above script. Well, except for one point. YNAB 4 looks for the Windows version of the Dropbox app. It will not find the Linux version of Dropbox. So, you have to install the Windows version and start it up before opening YNAB 4. Even then I'm not sure it finds it right away; so far every time I've started it YNAB 4 fails the first time. It does start the second time though.

Yes, WINE is a pain. Yes, it runs significantly slower than 3 did in native Linux. I do like 4 better though. I like the organization, the look, and extras like the reports. I think it's worth it and will keep using 4.

Clyde
  • PatzerPatzer Posts: 3,794Member, Beta Tester

Yes. It works.

I'm a novice Linux user, having created a dual boot machine just to see if I could get YNAB 4 up and running. The Linux side is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, with the Unity interface. With tips from WolverineFan and Taylor, I got it to work. YNAB 4 syncs between the Linux box, my other computer running Win7, and my iPod just fine. Then when I shut down the Linux box and reboot to WinXP, that also finds the same budget. I have two separate Dropbox folders, one on the Linux side and one on the XP side; but they are pointing at the same Dropbox account.

I'm such a Linux n00b that I didn't know how to copy a perl script and get it to work; so I looked further up the thread in the beta forum at the steps to get there. I tried a half dozen things with that host.db file, before discovering that I had mis-spelled it "hosts.db". Oops. I had a day or so when YNAB 4 was working on Linux but didn't believe in Dropbox even though I opened a working YNAB budget from a Dropbox folder. The interesting thing is, the iPod did a correct cloud sync to the Linux box even though the Linux box thought it had a local budget. Ditto for sync between the Win7 box and the Linux box. It. Just. Worked.

Before WolverineFan got around to posting instructions for copying the perl script in baby language that I could understand, I figured out that YNAB 4 on the Linux box thought it was pointing at a Z:\ drive for the native Linux files. I encoded that directory string through opinionatedgeek.com, put it in the host.db file in the proper location, and restarted YNAB 4. All of a sudden, YNAB 4 believed in cloud sync. I probably have some old simlinks hanging around from when I was making false starts; but I'm happy to have something working.

Well, mostly working. The in-app update doesn't talk to the YNAB servers. Check for updates doesn't work, and opening the beta version when I know there's a new beta out doesn't prompt me to update. But if I manually download the updated version, I can just double click the downloaded file and Wine correctly updates the beta. I'm sure that will also be true for the live version, whenever 4.1 comes out.

Patzer
    LughClyde wrote:
    YNAB 4 works fine without running the above script. Well, except for one point. YNAB 4 looks for the Windows version of the Dropbox app. It will not find the Linux version of Dropbox. So, you have to install the Windows version and start it up before opening YNAB 4. Even then I'm not sure it finds it right away; so far every time I've started it YNAB 4 fails the first time.

Clyde,

Yeah, the whole point of the script is to set up the WINE environment to point to your Linux based Dropbox install. I know you CAN install the Windows Dropbox, but I think it's a bad idea :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight to enhance the script so it will "fix" an already installed YNAB.
    LughClyde wrote:
    Yes, WINE is a pain. Yes, it runs significantly slower than 3 did in native Linux. I do like 4 better though. I like the organization, the look, and extras like the reports. I think it's worth it and will keep using 4.

I have not noticed a slowdown from YNAB3 native to YNAB4 in wine on my machine. Anybody else?
    Patzer wrote:

Yes. It works.

I'm a novice Linux user, having created a dual boot machine just to see if I could get YNAB 4 up and running.

Thanks. It's pretty hard-core to setup dual-boot just for testing. You could have installed Linux in a VM on your Windows machine in much less time. I use VirtualBox to do the opposite (WinXP on Linux), as well as to test out different Linux versions.
    It's pretty hard-core to setup dual-boot just for testing. You could have installed Linux in a VM on your Windows machine in much less time.

Maybe. But I'm a novice, so I went with something that I thought I understood well enough to get done. I saw the Ubuntu offer to install/uninstall Linux like other Windows apps; presumably that's the VM you're talking about. I reasoned that I wanted to see real Linux performance, not Linux with Windows overhead. That, and the machine I used is vintage 2009 and my secondary computer at this point.

From a machine standpoint, it worked out well. First boot to WinXP after the split was scary, as Windows wanted to do an extensive file system check. But I must have had some file system errors, because WinXP is running better now than it did before I turned the machine into dual boot.
    I use VirtualBox to do the opposite (WinXP on Linux), as well as to test out different Linux versions.

I'll have to look into that at some point. I could see this box ultimately becoming a pure Linux box, or at least running Linux more than WinXP, as time goes on.

Patzer
    Patzer wrote:
    I'll have to look into that at some point. I could see this box ultimately becoming a pure Linux box, or at least running Linux more than WinXP, as time goes on.

Linux makes a great default OS... And Windows works great in a window :) It's almost as if Microsoft knew someday they would just be a virtual OS...

The only exception is games (I went 3 years without a native Windows OS until Diablo 3 was released and broke my streak).
  • LughClydeLughClyde Posts: 4Member
    Clyde,

Yeah, the whole point of the script is to set up the WINE environment to point to your Linux based Dropbox install. I know you CAN install the Windows Dropbox, but I think it's a bad idea :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight to enhance the script so it will "fix" an already installed YNAB.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Can you modify the script to get YNAB to point to the Linux Dropbox after installation? Sorry, I don't know Perl.

Thanks,
    Clyde
  • jemkeithjemkeith Posts: 16Member
    How do we update the program with the script? Can we just run the update, or do we have to uninstall first?
    jemkeith wrote:
    How do we update the program with the script? Can we just run the update, or do we have to uninstall first?

I haven't got the in-app update to work, but if I just download the full install file (latest version) and double click it, Wine installs it over the top of the last file. It even correctly distinguishes between the live and beta versions. (I have both on the Linux box.)

Patzer
    LughClyde wrote:
    Can you modify the script to get YNAB to point to the Linux Dropbox after installation? Sorry, I don't know Perl.

That is definitely on the wishlist. I was hoping to get to it last night, but almost certainly over the weekend.

Someone else asked about product updates. I joined the beta test group at the last minute so I haven't seen any updates come through yet. If they don't "just work" I'm sure we can find a workaround. I'm not sure how simply double-clicking on the installer will behave since my script installs to a custom WINE directory by default so I'll have to do some testing.
  • CatlikeCatlike Posts: 3Member
    Sir, I am not savvy and am frustrated greatly. Can you elaborate on some of the following?

-> "Install WINE and Dropbox first. NOTE: Be sure to finish the Dropbox setup process and create your sync folder before running my script!"
    WINE was already installed. I installed Dropbox, but there was no prompt or opportunity to create a sync folder. How/when/where can I create a sync folder?

-> "Put my script in the same directory you downloaded YNAB4 to."
    I cannot find the directory YNAB4 downloaded to. I have no clue where YNAB4 "lives". There IS a YNAB4 folder in the Home folder, but it is just data files, not program files.
    Catlike wrote:
    Sir, I am not savvy and am frustrated greatly. Can you elaborate on some of the following?

-> "Install WINE and Dropbox first. NOTE: Be sure to finish the Dropbox setup process and create your sync folder before running my script!"
    WINE was already installed. I installed Dropbox, but there was no prompt or opportunity to create a sync folder. How/when/where can I create a sync folder?

-> "Put my script in the same directory you downloaded YNAB4 to."
    I cannot find the directory YNAB4 downloaded to. I have no clue where YNAB4 "lives". There IS a YNAB4 folder in the Home folder, but it is just data files, not program files.

I can help with your second question. It should have downloaded to your downloads folder in your home directory.
    I installed manually with out the script so can't help you with the first question. I assume he means for you to create the drop box folder in the wine directory.
    On second read, he added that after baldwintm's post: ynab-linux-f97/how-run-ynab-linux-using-wine-t16409.html#p117593

I took this to mean just get Drop box set up so that it has a data folder to use for sharing the ynab file.