Hostname.exe - Entry point not found error

mirrymirry Posts: 24Member
edited July 2012 in Desktop
Hi there

Yesterday after installing YNAB 4 everything was going well and then suddenly I have started getting this error.

The procedure entry point s_perror could not be located in the dynamic link library MSWSOCK.dll.

Any ideas

thanks

Mirry
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Budget_NinjaBudget_Ninja Posts: 4,694Member, Beta Tester
    If you haven't already, consider sending an email to the YNAB support team. This one seems pretty technical.
  • INAB26INAB26 Posts: 1,576Member, Beta Tester
    Admittedly I don't completely know what I've talking about, but that looks like a Windows sort of error to me....maybe not exactly related to YNAB. Have you done a registry scan or clean up recently?
  • TaytayTaytay Posts: 3,094Member, Moderator, Administrator, YNAB Team
    Based on my Google Searches, something has gone wrong with your MSWSock.dll. That was pretty obvious from the error. But what most of the Google results had in common was the mention of "Malware". YNAB Does indeed call a program called "hostname.exe" on your machine, but the fact that it has this error is leading me to believe that your computer might be infected.

Here's an example of someone with a similar problem:
    http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachines ... c=11656.15

I agree with the first step they offer in that forum:

That says to basically run the command "netsh winsock reset" and gives instructions for doing so.
    Try that. That might work. If it doesn't work, please ask for help on a forum like www.spywarehammer.com
    On places like that, you can post your symptoms and they will lead you through the solution. I'm not comfortable offering such advice here. Those guys are the real experts.
  • los lobos marinoslos lobos marinos Posts: 567Member, Beta Tester
    That is possibly (not definitely) a symptom of malware infection...

Just stressing that it is only possible. Not saying there is an infection. But I have seen that error before.

You could try scanning your pc with TDSSkiller and malwarebytes to be on the safe side. Both programs are free to use and excellent at removing rootkits (which is probably interfering with systems and causing the error)

TDDSKiller

Malwarebytes
  • TaytayTaytay Posts: 3,094Member, Moderator, Administrator, YNAB Team
    Excellent advice los lobos. Agreed.
  • mirrymirry Posts: 24Member
    thanks everyone. I have run my computer scan a number of times and it says no infected files or trojans. Will try one of those you suggested.

Mirry
  • los lobos marinoslos lobos marinos Posts: 567Member, Beta Tester
    mirry wrote:
    thanks everyone. I have run my computer scan a number of times and it says no infected files or trojans. Will try one of those you suggested.

Mirry
    Hi Mirry,

If there is a "clever" rootkit" or other malware hiding aware in the furthest reaches of your system, it is unlikely that programs such as Norton, Macafee or Microsoft Essentials would be able to detect or disinfect. Those types of programs only offer relatively basic defences against malware infection.

If you are choosing to use TDSSKiller and malwarebytes to check then they should be combined with TDSS used first and then Malwarebytes afterward.

Some of the cleverer malware may try and prevent you running TDSSKiller to protect itself from removal. If that is the case you will need to change the name of the executable file (*.exe) to something maybe like mirrycleaner.com perhaps.

Even if you change the name the malware might still detect the program as TDSSKiller and the program may still be unable to run. If that is the case then install TDSSKiller on to something like a USB pendrive and run the program from there. That usually does the trick in most cases.

Do go visit spwarehammer for further advice and support as Taytay said for detailed instructions should the need arise.

For additional advice on developing an effective shield against future infection you could drop by on Wilders Security Forums. I'm also a member there (under a different name though).

Like I said earlier, it is only a possibility that your pc is infected, but that error dialog you saw is sometimes a good indicator of infection so it is good to check before taking a closer look at any potential problem there may be with operating system files, configuration and/or data corruption.

Edit: Whenever I'm disinfecting systems I always do that in safe mode and recommend that you do the same. Amongst other things, it can help prevent the malware from 'calling home' for new instructions when you are trying to disinfect. (At least that's what I tell myself).