The new iPhone...

Math_RocksMath_Rocks Posts: 111Member
I know many people on here are ditching their iPhones and/or switching to cheaper forms of cellular. However, I am wondering if there is anyone out there equally excited about the new iPhones and planning to purchase either the 5C or 5S. We have been saving for a while for new phones and they will count as our birthday presents a couple months early. The problem is that we only have enough for the 5C's and not cases for them (an absolute must!) and the camera on the 5S is really tempting me to find a way to come up with the extra money to go to that tier. I'd love to hear others thoughts. 
Bstar0306

Comments

• vlagrlvlagrl Posts: 41Member
    My DH and I are going to hold out for the 6, whenever that may be. Our 4s's are doing fine for now, and as much as the 5s tempts us, we've decided to wait (and have more time to save).
  • fromabuick8fromabuick8 Posts: 46Member
    edited September 2013
    Last year I paid full price for the new 5 (so I could keep my unlimited data plan). I had saved for almost a year and had to wait till November to be able to afford it.

My point is wait a couple months if you have too so you can get the model you want.
    Post edited by fromabuick8 on
  • Math_RocksMath_Rocks Posts: 111Member
    Thanks for chiming in, @vlagrl and @fromabuick8

We currently have 3GS's so they are pretty old. One of the reasons that the 5S is so tempting to me is because my digital camera gave out and the camera on the 5S looks so good, it would be like getting two devices in one.

You may be right about saving a while longer but I am impatient. It would be so fun to have the latest, greatest as soon as it comes out for once! (We are always getting hand-me-downs and things waaay after they come out - we got our current iPhones when they were a $1.)
  • spssps Posts: 129Member
    Absolutely!  One of the things I love about the iPhone is they have a fantastic resale value!  I sold my 3GS about a year ago for $150 and I'll sell my 4 to offset the cost of the 5S.  If you just consider the cost of the phone, rather than getting into a discussion about the cost of rate plans, then it comes down to less than $5 a paycheck.  Skip two beers or Starbuck coffee's a month and you have a new iPhone.  
    Bstar0306islandally
  • vlagrlvlagrl Posts: 41Member
    If I had the 3S, I would definitely be upgrading sooner rather than waiting! Go for it, the camera does look awesome.
  • WordTenorWordTenor Posts: 1,500Member, Beta Tester
    I'm SUPER excited for the iPhone 5S. Because I've been wanting to get a 4S. :) 

And now it will be marked down to free or $1 when I re-up my plan.

I may be weird for doing this, but I've been waiting to get a free iPhone so that I'll have a backup. I've been through the "lost my phone when I was ineligible for an upgrade" headache twice, scrambling to shove money around and/or borrowing against the credit card. No fun. Now that I'm addicted to using a $600 phone instead of a $1-200 one...I want a backup, just in case. My 4 is fine, and if I ever had to reactivate it after I get my new 4S, it'd serve me just fine.
    Bstar0306budgetbaby
  • Bstar0306Bstar0306 Posts: 548Member
    We aren't eligible for an upgrade until May so I have no idea what we'll do. I only have a 4 but it still works great!! I don't know if I'll get an upgrade to a 5 in May or wait out till the fall for a 6 or whatever comes out. Will have to wait and see what the reviews say.
  • SuperboneSuperbone Posts: 1,313Member
    I bought my first smart phone, the 4S, when it first came out. I'm still fine with it. I think I'll wait for the 6 to upgrade. But thinking about resale makes it tempting.
  • SunRaven01SunRaven01 Posts: 175Member
    We bought the original iPhone, followed by the 3G, then a 4, then a 5.  We never upgrade on the S cycle, and there's no reason for us to replace our 5 with a 5C.  So, we're waiting for the 6!
  • savemoresavemore Posts: 129Member
    I have an iPhone 4, hubby and daughter have a 4s.  Mine is 2.5 years old.  I hope to get a 5s by the end of the year.  I am somewhat of an amateur photographer and am interested in having it for the better pocket camera features.  Didn't realize there was a big market for them used.  Now that the 5s will be out, the 4s models will be FREE if you sign up for a 2 year contract...  
  • Semirhage527Semirhage527 Posts: 1,385Member, Beta Tester
    H and I have a 5, so we won't upgrade just yet.  We'll wait another version or two.
  • IronMikeSharpeIronMikeSharpe Posts: 427Member
    savemore said:
    I have an iPhone 4, hubby and daughter have a 4s.  Mine is 2.5 years old.  I hope to get a 5s by the end of the year.  I am somewhat of an amateur photographer and am interested in having it for the better pocket camera features.  Didn't realize there was a big market for them used.  Now that the 5s will be out, the 4s models will be FREE if you sign up for a 2 year contract...  

Stay away from the contracts, is my recomendation.  I bought a 4S in January.  Paid full price for it at Radio Shack and then signed up for the Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk plan.  It's a pre-paid plan.  For $35/month, I get 300 minutes of talk (I don't come close to using that much) and unlimited text and data.  Though it gets throttled at some point, but most of my data usage is at home where I just use my WiFi. 

With my old AT&T contract, I was paying them $88 a month!!!!.  Now saving over $50/month on cell phone, so in less than 9 months the savings will have paid for the phone purchase.  So, getting the "free" phone is a huge ripoff. 

I'll keep this phone for a few years.  When it is time to get a new one, if I stay with the iPhone, I will just go to Radio Shack and pay full price for the previous generation of phone.

ginwoo
  • ynabber533ynabber533 Posts: 312Member
    "Equally excited?" Me me me !!   :o)

I have wanted an iPhone FOREVER but could never really justify it (because of the expensive monthly data plans) ... so I've just had a low-end and (now very old) Samsung with a very cheap voice plan (less than $30/month.) 

THEN last month, I found YNAB ... and I really wanted to be able to use the app so I could enter my expenses while out and about, BUT my (1st generation) iPod Touch is too old to update to the new iOS to run it ! So then I started thinking about getting a new iPod Touch ... and then I thought .. well instead of spending the $ on a new iPod ... ! So I did some research and found a carrier (Koodo in Canada) which offers a type of "lite" plan for not much more than my current monthly plan. 

They've announced they will be carrying the 5S, but no word yet on the 5C, nor on what the pricing will be... I was kind of hoping for a blue 5C!  

HOWEVER, now that I have YNAB and can see my financial situation more clearly, I'm still not sure I can "justify" this ! Due to my highly variable income situation, it's really hard to predict things. I can definitely afford it NOW (ie have the cash in hand) but will I regret that commitment in the 2nd year of the contract? I *could* get an iPhone 4 I guess but think the iPhone 5 would be a better long-term buy (at some point the 4 will not run a new iOS, just as my old iPod Touch can no longer be upgraded...)

I wonder if it would be a better option for me to buy a phone outright and get some kind of pre-paid plan? (Thanks for the idea, @Iron Mike Sharpe ! Will have to see what might be available here in Canada.. 

Decisions, decisions! At least YNAB will help make my choices more crystalline!

• bradbrad Posts: 3,115Member
    edited September 2013
    @ynabber533: Buying the phone outright is pretty expensive ($600 CAD plus tax for the base model 5C), and data plans here in Canada are still expensive if you actually want to use your phone for data. Koodoo offers 1 gig/month with text and talk for $50/month, but remember you'll actually pay more like $60 or $65 when you add taxes on top of that. It's a lot of money, at least for someone like me who's used to paying $25.75/month including taxes for a phone plan (I have a smart phone but not a data plan, just voice). Koodoo's prepaid plans still end up around $50/month before tax if you want 1 gig of data. You could get 500 megabytes for less, but it's amazing how fast you can go through the megabytes on a data plan unless you're really careful to keep it on WiFi most of the time. App updates, for example, or subscriptions to online newspapers through the Newstand can chew through your data allowance pretty fast.
    Post edited by brad on
    @savemore, the trick to getting a good price on eBay for an iPhone is to open up shipping to all countries.  But always get insurance, not all postal services are as reliable and honest as USPS.  It's mostly people who are trying to stay off contracts but don't want to pay the full cost of a new phone without.
  • JenSJenS Posts: 529Member

sps said:
    not all postal services are as reliable and honest as USPS.
    After extensive Ebaying, these are two words I would not use to describe USPS.  You're right though, always get insurance, ESPECIALLY from USPS!
    edited September 2013
    @Brad: Thanks for your comments .. I can see I will really have to do my homework once prices / plans are released... I had been looking (last month) at Koodo, where they had a $30 /month plan (talk and text only; pay-per use "Data Saver" up to 25 MB for another $5/ month extra) with an iPhone 4 (another $5/month on a 2 year tab I think) so I was waiting to see what would happen when the new iPhones were announced. I was thinking that I would just use wifi and try not to use any paid data. Kind of a "compromise" ... and I would REALLY like a plan that includes free texting this time around! The "deal" I was kind of making w/ myself is that the whole thing (contract and all) shouldn't cost me any more than what I am currently paying for my voice plan, plus what I would have paid for a new iPod Touch ... 
    but hmmmm.. now that I am ynabbing, somehow it's not as easy as that, anymore !! It's interesting how YNAB focuses the mind differently ! 
    Post edited by ynabber533 on
  • bradbrad Posts: 3,115Member
    I had been looking (last month) at Koodo, where they had a $30 /month plan (talk and text only; pay-per use "Data Saver" up to 25 MB for another $5/ month extra) with an iPhone 4 (another $5/month on a 2 year tab I think) so I was waiting to see what would happen when the new iPhones were announced.
    I'm probably not the right person to ask since I only tried a data plan for a couple of months before I cancelled it (too expensive, couldn't justify it), but I think you could go through 25 MB really quickly unless you can set up the iPhone to only use WiFi most of the time. The other thing is that you can't use an iPhone in the US without a data plan. Keep in mind that if you use the GPS on the iPhone, that requires data, as does email and web browsing while you're out and about. Maybe some people here have tips on how to keep your data use under 25 MB/month, but it might be challenging or at least a bit of a headache to remember to stick to WiFi most of the time.
  • juliebeannnjuliebeannn Posts: 4Member
    it's in our budget for hubby to get the 5S next week.  he's upgrading from a 4.  I have a 4s and i promised myself, no "fun" purchases until student loans are paid off.  (debt free date is estimated for 10/25/13!! :) )  luckily, iOS7 is being released next week, so that'll hold me over for a while. 
    wow, @brad ! I didn't know that you can't use an iPhone in the US w/out a data plan! HMM! Also, thanks for the tips about using data ... I never thought about how much data things might take (like app updates and GPS functions etc as you pointed out).
    I see Koodo WILL be carrying the 5C, but they won't be announcing their prices til the 20th, and no pre-orders. That gives me a little time to get my finances (and priorities!) a little more clear. (I am on my first full month of YNAB and was thinking I need to rearrange my categories and do some other tweaking to get it working better for my situation.) 
    @JenS I'm not saying our postal service is perfect but in some foreign countries theft of high ticket items by mail carriers and custom officials is the norm rather than the exception. 
  • RachelPRachelP Posts: 32Member, Beta Tester
    GO GALAXY S4!!!!  (runs and hides)

;))  Sorry I had to give some love to Android.   But seriously... its available on ting.....
    @fromabuick8, thanks again for the advice!

DH and I talked about it tonight and we feel like we will regret it if we "settle" for the 5C so we are going to save for a while longer for the 5S's.

No worries, @RachelP! Sometimes I wish I didn't love the iPhone so much because I know there are cheaper alternatives out there. But I truly love the iPhone. Everyone is entitled to feeling like different things are luxuries to them.
  • vikas911vikas911 Posts: 24Member
    I plan on upgrading from 4S to 5S, i've put my 4S up for sale and if I get what I'm asking, I will buy it right away otherwise I'll wait a couple of months.

:)
  • SuperboneSuperbone Posts: 1,313Member
    vikas911 said:
    I plan on upgrading from 4S to 5S, i've put my 4S up for sale and if I get what I'm asking, I will buy it right away otherwise I'll wait a couple of months.

:)
    I'd be curious to hear what you get for it if you don't mind sharing.
    Thinking more about whether I REALLY NEED an iPhone or not ... ! I'm not sure if YNAB Lite is still available or not? Doesn't seem so, (don't see it in the iTunes store at the moment) but I don't know if I'd really USE the YNAB app if all my account information is displayed on the home screen ... I have lots of off-budget accounts that I wouldn't want to be showing on my iPhone, especially if I wanted to show /talk about YNAB (as others have mentioned). Hmmm.. I might have to wait to see if the option to hide the account info is in the next YNAB app release ... (I don't make THAT many purchases and so far it's been OK to enter my receipt information at home, so I'm finding it a little harder to justify an iPhone tonight! Still WANT one though!) 
    Yikes! This waiting is going to be soooo hard!

A friend ordered 5C's for himself and his wife today. I know the 5S's can't even be ordered until next Friday but it is probably going to take a couple months for us to squirrel away the money for them. But I am determined NOT to use a credit card. It's tempting but I want the cash in hand before we make this discretionary purchase. Sometimes it is really hard to behave...
  • GandalfGandalf Posts: 46Member
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the 5S. But I'll definitely be upgrading to it in November, since my 4S has smashed glass, front and back. A word to the wise: Don't crash your motorcycle with your phone in your pocket and slide on it at 40mph.
    I am wondering what everyone thinks about cases ... (esp after @Gandalf said "smashed glass, front and back") ... do you think a case is a necessity ? I had been thinking I didn't think I really needed one ... but maybe I do? (and maybe it would keep its resale value better with a case?) 

And while I'm talking about "extras" ... what about the AppleCare extra warranty? I think one of the stores told me it covers an immediate replacement for $79 or something like that (here in Canada). I have a lot of Apple products and have always gotten AppleCare so would probably get that for my phone too, but that would certainly add to the upfront cost. Not sure how much more whack-a-mole I can play this month. Hmm. maybe that it something I could add on, later ...  
  • hammeruphammerup Posts: 261Member
    So much misinformation here. My wife and I both have iphone 5 phones that we are using on Airvoice for $10/ mo apiece WITH NO DATA. IN THE U.S. they work great. We check our mail, Facebook and upload pictures when we get home to our wifi. In fact GPS requires no data, we use Skydroid out on golf courses and yardage comes up perfectly. But I don't think mapping applications would work - need data to download the mapsbon the fly.